Wednesday 4 December 2013

Story Boarding (Part 2)

So like I mentioned before, I had to story board a script from an episode of teenage mutant ninja turtles. This was more challenging but I really enjoyed it. I had quite a lot of dialogue and not really much action with my section so I couldn't go too crazy, but it definitely made me want to storyboard more.

Coming up with camera shots was really fun and a nice creative part of the project.
Imagining how it would look and play through in my mind was cool and it made me want to carry on and actually make this part of the script into a finished animation. I think its because of the crazy amount of cartoons I watch, I loved the idea of making my own ( even if the script was already written)






I wish I could have spent more time on the drawings, but we only had a week for this whole project. I had trouble to begin with when drawing the turtles because I don't tend to draw in the style of the show. After struggling I came to the conclusion that i would enjoy the project more and it would ultimately turn out better if I didn't hinder myself by drawing in a way I'm not used to. So yes, maybe they look like babies, but I liked drawing me some cute turtles.













I really enjoyed this project and enjoyed learning about camera angles and techniques. Its amazing how you take things like the '180 degree rule' for granted until its broken. You only notice camera movement when they are off or wrong. (I guess that could be said for all aspects of animation and film making)
I loved learning how, with just the direction you pan across a room, you can make audience feel comfortable or incredibly uncomfortable. It can really change how you are meant to feel about a scene and how you perceive the situation happening.

I did go back and find the episode the script was taken from once the project was over. I didn't want it to influence my decisions before. I must say, the scene was done in practically five seconds and had no where near the amount of shots in it as I did. It was quite funny to look back and think how much time I spent on mine, only to see the version that was actually aired and see how simple it was. Though to be fair, it was very old and things have definitely progressed since. ( hint hint, the 2012 ninja turtles series is super cool)

Over all story boarding surprised me. It was a cool project to begin the year with and get my creative juices flowing. It also made me want to get stuck into the animation part again. I think its something I would definitely like to continue with and pursue in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment