Friday 11 April 2014

Major Project: Collaborative [Pre Production] (Part 1- Mimed Acting)



For my collaborative major project I am working with third years as an animator on their short film 'Pursuit'. The quick sum up of it is that a creature is chasing a man, we see them run through alleyways till a woman shoots the creature. We learn there was a plan to lure the creature into the open with her cub to shoot it. This project will cover the 'mimed acting' and 'creature animation' part of my project.
I was super excited to get onto this project and very happy to be able to contribute to the third years final short. For my pre production I added to and expanded upon the scenes given to me in the initial storyboard. I tired out different ideas for each shot to show the director so she could pick which she wanted me to run with for the final animation.

The fist scene I had was the at the beginning. The man is listening for the creature, he spots it, smirks with confidence then when it runs closer he panics. This shot was split into three parts and I made thumbs and animatics for each part.


Part 1: Listening for the creature



Part 2: Looking at the creature smugly



Part 3: Concerned about the creature. 



My next shot is when the male character gets worried and turns to run. This shot follows on from my previous shot.





My final shot with the human characters is one of the final shots of the short. This is after the creature has been shot. The two characters are proud of their victory when they hear growls from behind. In the following shot the male turns and the camera will pan to show they are surrounded by a pack of the creatures. 






I wish I could have spent more time making final polished animatics for these but I am happy with what I produced. I had fun filming references for these as I got to explore different ways in which a person can convey a certain emotion without using words. (I don't think I will embarrass myself by posting them up just yet though) I think these will be interesting to animate as I really want to work on my facial expressions within my animation. I think these scenes will be great for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment